The following pre-operative instructions MUST be followed:
- HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY.
- Refrain from smoking at least 12 hours prior to your surgery. No gum or breath mints as they stimulate acid in the stomach.
- Have a responsible adult accompany you to and from the Centre. Private automobile or taxi is recommended. Public transportation is not acceptable. A parent or guardian must be present with patients under 18 years of age.
- Make arrangements to remain in the city overnight if your home is not in the Vancouver or the Lower Mainland area. We can assist upon request.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Do not wear jewelry or make-up. Contact lenses must be removed before surgery.
- Contact your surgeon prior to the day of the surgery if your medical condition changes (i.e., severe cold, fever, etc.)
- After surgery, arrange to have a responsible adult remain with you for the balance of the day and during the night.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY.
- Failure to follow these instructions may result in the cancellation of your surgery.
- Cambie Surgery Centre assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen articles during your stay.
- If you have any general questions, please call Cambie Surgery Centre.
For General Anaesthesia or Intravenous Sedation procedures
Following general anaesthesia or intravenous sedation, 24 to 36 hours are required for the full effects of the drugs to wear off. During this period, it is important that you follow these instructions:
- After your surgery you MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult, who may either drive you home or accompany you home in a taxi. Public transportation is not acceptable. We also suggest that you have a responsible adult stay with you for the rest of the day and night. If you cannot arrange to have someone accompany you, please contact Cambie Surgery Centre, or your surgeon’s office, prior to your date of surgery.
- On arrival home it is common to feel sleepy. Rest quietly at home for the balance of the day.
- Lie flat if you feel dizzy or light headed.
- Drink non-citric juice or non-diet soft drinks for the first 4 – 6 hours. Light meals are recommended following your operation (i.e., soup, toast, Jell-O)
- Avoid alcohol in any form for 48 hours.
- Avoid any drugs apart from prescription drugs or your prescribed pain killers.
- Do not operate motor vehicles, boats, power tools or machinery for 24 hours.
- Do not operate an aircraft for at least four days following general anaesthesia.
- Do not sign or enter into any legal contract for 24 hours.
- You may experience some muscular aches in you back or neck area. As well, you may develop a sore throat or stuffy nose following a general anaesthetic. These symptoms are common and will disappear in a short time.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-operative signs or symptoms, please call your surgeon.
Cambie Surgery Centre
The CSC is the only free-standing private hospital of its type in Canada. The CSC has provided surgical care to over 55,000 patients since the opening in May 1996. Contact us today to learn more.
Cambie Surgery Centre
- 2836 Ash Street Vancouver, BC Canada V5Z 3C6
- Tel (604) 874-1349
- Toll free (800) 558-1338
- Fax: (604) 874-1549